Friday, January 07, 2005

Suiboku-ga : Japanese Ink Painting

Painting has been a wonderful hobby and a favorite past time in my life. Painting makes me relax and helps me to get things off my mind. It also helps me to calm down when I am mad.

Two years ago, I attended classes in Kyoto International Community Center to learn japanese monochrome ink painting (suiboku-ga) .

Suiboku-ga is a technique first developed in China during the Sung dynasty (960–1274) and taken to Japan by Zen Buddhist monks in the mid-14th century. Daruma (above) is the father of Zen Buddhism. I read in one site, in order to bring the image of Daruma alive with brush and ink, the artist must, through meditation, become Daruma. Aiks ?

Actually, I am not good at all in Japanese ink painting. I gave up after two lessons.

This is a picture of animation - Spirited Away (sen to chihiro no kamikakushi). This cartoon has emerged as one of Miyazaki's best works, which later captured the 'Best Animated Film' of the Academy Award.

This is the story of a girl named Chihiro who travels into the world of gods to find a way to turn her parents into human form after they were turned into... pigs.

This is my favorite picture, supposedly the impression of summer in Hokkaido.

This is a picture I drew for Liliana. That's about all I did over the past two years.

No comments: